Monday, October 7, 2013

Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine

Today's find brings you a small glimpse into the world of science fiction and fantasy (something I seriously know nothing about). After seeing the cover, I knew there would be fun things inside. Or at least some good ads in the back.

Novemeber/December 1978 $1.25

Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine started in 1977 after some dude named Joel asked Asimov if he would lend his sideburns to the magazine. I mean seriously. Look at that man's facial hair. It's epic. 


Look they even won a spaceship vibrator award!


Excuse my crappy scans. I was just so mesmerized by the hair on this hand.


So many of my dumpster finds end up in my office because of the cover or the illustrations inside. 


This has "PEW! PEW! PEW!" written all over it!
PEW!


What truly fascinates me, however, are the ads in the back.
Publish your book! Make $1200 a month licking envelopes! Win a government Lottery!


Save money on CB accessories! Painted fantasy figures! 
I often think about writing some of these companies to see if they still exist. 

When I first found this, my thoughts went immediately to Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine (started in 1956) and Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine (started in 1941). I read both of these growing up and would purchase them every so often from my local Publix. For whatever reason, I could only ever find them at Publix. These were basically short story compilations, that were easily digestible. I had never seen science fiction at Publix, but I was probably the only person shopping the magazine aisle under 65. 


This November 2013's editions of both magazines, also found in the trash.


Their ads suck.

If you are interested in your own copy of Vol. 2 No. 6 of Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, you can get your own copy for $2.50 or $11.11. Wonder at the glory of Asimov's sideburns!




No comments:

Post a Comment