Friday, November 15, 2013

Yes... it's been a while, but I've been busy

You, dear reader, will be so happy to see my latest find:


Yes, you read that correctly. An entire book, published in 1960 about bathrooms found in Europe. YOU have been waiting your ENTIRE life for this! I know! I have too. Who would have thrown this treasure away? Well, after reading this, I know you'll want your own copy (that doesn't smell musty).

Each informative illustration is accompanied by an equally informative piece of poetry. Take for example, the entry on unisex toilets:

Had this book been written today, "BI-SEXUAL JOHN..." would have a whole new meaning. Including various sexual fetishes, which tend to accompany anything "sexual" and toilets. However, you can Google that yourself. I work in strictly "safe mode" when writing about my book finds. 

The following image and poem caught my eye, not only because I hate European showers, but because I absolutely LOVE the band, Katzenjammer. 

According to my trusty source, "Katzenjammer German pronunciation: [ˈkaʦənˌjamɐ] is a German word literally meaning "cat's wail" (caterwaul) and hence "discordant sound", sometimes used to indicate a general state of depression or bewilderment. It has also been used as a term for a hangover, with the sufferer's groans of discomfort being humorously likened to a wailing cat."
One of my favorite bands on the planet is called Katzenjammer. I can't even just link to one youtube video, I have to link to the search results to ALL of them. Seriously, go... They rock. Not only do they rock, but there's a stand-up bass balalaika. They apparently named themselves, not after the "hangover" or "discordant sound," but after the American comic The Katzenjammer Kids. Of course neither should be confused with Katzenjammer Kaberet, a French cabaret/death metal band (Wikipedia's description, not mine). 

This illustration is probably the most useful:

I remember first coming across one of these. I was so intrigued/disgusted, that I took a picture of it. The one illustrated is probably the cleanest I have ever seen. Seriously. These squatters are gross. I know, that before outhouses and actual indoor plumbing, mankind did his business in the woods in a similar fashion. However, I am pretty sure that it was more sanitary than this. I don't ever remember using one that actually flushed. Ever.
BUT, at least there were grids on the floor so you didn't slip and fall in. 

Lastly, the most confusing item of plumbing for an American:

I've never personally used one, but I could have. My mother had one in one of the condos she lived in about 20 years ago. At the time, she was living in a 55+ condo complex on a golf course. The condo itself, was okay. The bathroom... oh the bathroom... Wall to wall carpet, gold veined mirrored walls and upon its own pedestal, a bidet. This book had quite a few suggestions on how to use a bidet: 

My mom had artificial plants in hers. 








No comments:

Post a Comment