Monday, February 3, 2014

"Lifelines of Success" By Joseph R. Gay 1913

I’ll be completely honest with you. I had no idea what I grabbed when I picked this book up out of the trash pile. I didn’t look at the publication date, I barely read the cover (it needs new binding), and I just threw it on my desk thinking, I’d look at it later. (Just like the other piles of books I will look at later). What I have found, however, is a treasure. This book is an AMAZING glimpse into the past. The writer, Joseph R. Gay, was an African American writer looking to improve the lives of his fellow African Americans. Some of the scans I am providing here are definitely funny as they are dated. Science has changed, social norms have changed. However, I think many people, who are not white, are still struggling in America, so in a way… Not much has changed. I didn’t find much information on Gay, but what I did find through Google, I am posting here. If I had more time (not much of that these days), I’d do some actual research and try to find more information beyond Google. The scans I am providing are just a short snippet of what is in this book. I hope, someday, that someone scans the entire book as it is AMAZING. Some scans are funny. Some are strange. Some document the struggle of African Americans at the beginning of the last century. Yet all of them are interesting look at the past. I just wish this book was complete (a few of the last pages are missing) and that I had the money to rebind it.

From “Black Conservatism: Essays in Intellectual and Political History” edited by Peter R. Eisenstadt p. 143

"Lifelines of Success" By Joseph R. Gay 1913

A Practical Manual of Self-Help for the Future Development of the Ambitious Colored American: The Whole Embracing an Inspiring Symposium on Our Present Day Opportunities, Lessons from the Ancient and Glorious History of the Race and The Wonderful Civilization of Our Ancestors as an Example to the Rising Generation: Words of Wisdom from the Wiseman's Philosophy as a Guide to a Happy and Successful Life, To Which is Added Life Lines of Knowledge, Presenting a Series of Valuable Instructions for the Self-Improvement of Those Who Desire to Keep Step with The Progress of the Race. An uncommon self-help book that was marketed to African American households, presumably by salesmen (or book agents) going door-to-door soliciting subscriptions. (6B) http://www.aahmsnj.org/docent/docent14.html 
The cover

Title page




Descriptions of other races weren't very kind.

This was inserted in the book along with a dried flower, which I tossed. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't), what people leave in books.


This section had a LARGE amount of information. The author would tell you to save money, to educate your kids, to be kind to your wife, and so on and so forth.


Phrenology: extremely scientific

Don't mix races!

Don't mix races, but it's cool to marry your cousin.

Don't MASTERBATE!

Extremely scientific.

Don't wear fake crap!

And lastly: Tar and Turpentine for Diphtheria!


No comments:

Post a Comment